Powell 2014

Powell 2014

Thursday, January 6, 2011

WARNING: You Break IT You Buy IT

Norton 601


You may ask what a Norton 601 is, or you may simply not care.  I on the other-hand know what it is and care immensely.  Recently this little beauty became the cause of much concern to this self proclaimed do-it-yourselfer.  Follow along, our heater has been giving us fits and so with more confidence than knowledge I launched in to a counter offensive to right the wrong.  (Let me here point out that in the process of the D.I.Y. project the economic advantage is compromised at about the precise instant you you think to yourself was it this one or that one?)  So it is that I picked that one and as quick as that the ignitor for our furnace was out of commission.  This was altogether awful particularly as it was 9:30 p.m. and help was not available.  This fantastic decision of mine led to the wonderful opportunity of arising every two hours to light the heater with a match, risky business to say the least.  A late night search online produced the part but the next day air was horrendous so the next morning I located the part through a helpful heating co. as I worked late Andrea picked up the part.  The helpful fella turned out to have a listening problem as I returned home after business hours to find that the part was not the requested 4" model, yea! another sleepless night.  So two days later it turns out the online find would have arrived sooner, with less running around and five dollars cheaper.  The good news; in the end I only paid $65 and although there was a moment when my heart sank to my toes this D.I.Y. guy fixed his furnace for less than the service visit would have been.  As they say, you win some you loose some.

1 comment: